Sunday, December 26, 2010

It begins...

My story begins back in 2008. I was looking into the new (at least to me) phenomenon of mineral makeup. I have long been a supporter of independent businesses as I come from a family that has its own small business. After a careful review of numerous indie shops on Etsy I was most impressed with the pigments from GlitterSniffer. I fell in love with their colors and the fact that they were both indie and vegan were a plus.

I ordered and received my pigments in a timely manner. I used them sporadically as I was not happy with the formula and the way it set on my eyes. I did not place another order due to not enjoying the products. I did not have any issues regarding delivery of products, and all communication with Lela was friendly.

Flash forward 2 years and I became aware through numerous blogs that what I had purchased may not be what was promised.  I still had my pigments, but was not actively using them due to issues reported by others. I had used them throughout that 2 year period, however. I do currently have an inflamed tear duct on my right eye, which began about a year ago, and which despite treatment has not yet healed. I cannot say with utmost certainty it was due to use of GS products.

In December of this year the proprietor of GS, Lela Warren, released a statement stating that she had used dyes not approved for eye use in some her cosmetics. She also released a list of unsafe pigments. Nothing I purchased was on her list. A separate list compiled by an unknown source listed several pigments as potentially unsafe and a product I had purchased appeared on that list. I immediately disposed of all my GS pigments as I could not be assured of their safety.

I did some research and decided to file complaints with several state, federal, and independent reporting agencies. I actually had to fish my pigments out of the trash as the FDA requested that any products be saved in the event they needed to be tested as part of any investigation. As it was past the 45 day dispute period I was unable to try to recover my funds via Paypal. I contacted GS and advised of the complaints filed and requesting a refund. I was referred back to Paypal. I again contacted GS, advising that I was unable to file a dispute and again requesting a refund. I was then told that no further communication would be forthcoming as I had threatened legal action. I had not, in fact, threatened legal action regarding my refund. I did advise that if my personal identifying information was released I would pursue that matter with the appropriate authorities. I can only assume (and this is just an assumption on my part as GS has not responded to my 3rd email) that GS is referring to the complaint I filed with the Michigan Attorney General Consumer Protection Office. I informed GS that the AG is not about a legal action, but a mediation service to resolve disputes.

And that is where we currently stand. Complaints have been filed, I have informed GS of my request for refund, and I am patiently awaiting resolution of the matter.

1/11/11 ETA: Changed the date that my story began. It was 2008, not 1998. Thanks to the emailer who pointed this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be constructive in your comments. Any comments posted to this blog that may be considered defamatory, inflammatory, or threatening to anyone will be removed.

You're Not Alone

Subscribe

Bloggers' Rights at EFF

Easy Access

ACE Books Amazon Payments Artfire ASPCA Attorney General Bellasugar Better Business Bureau Big Cartel Business Opportunity Buyer Beware Cellini Red Charity Child Safety Closing Coastal Scents Complaints I Filed Consumer Affairs Consumer Product Safety Commission Consumer Reports Consumerist Contact Copyright Cosmetic Safety Craftzine.com Craigslist Cream Eyeliner Dammit Pigment Detroit Handmade Detroit Urban Craft Fair Disney Double Labels Ebay Email Etsy Etsy Call Out Blog Facebook FDA Federal Trade Commision Flickr Frankening Freedom Of Information Act FTC Get Crafty Gift Cards Gift Certificates Gift Exchange GLAAD Glam Rock Magazine glittermail GlitterSniffer GlitterSniffer Bath GlitterSniffer Cosmetics GlitterSnifferCosmetics.highwire.com Glow in the Dark Google Checkout Handmade HBO I Answer Your Questions Ingredients Internet Crime Complaint Center Kids in Danger Labeling Lawsuit Listia Mail and Telephone Order Merchandise Rule Maker City Faire Mascara Media MedWatch Mermaid Tail Michigan Department of Agriculture Michigan Radio Mineral Makeup Class My Story New Products News Not Approved OFT Old Stock Open Letter Overview Party Paypal Perfect Mint Personally Identifying Information PETA Pigmentchick PIRGIM Pissed Consumer Promises Psycho Bath Co PureLuxe purpose Randoms Recall Refund Rep. John D. Dingell Repackaging RipOffReport.com Sanrio Seuss Soap Statement Store Credit Technorati Terms of Service The Conservatorie The Princess Bride The Spotted Box Tim Burton True Blood TWLOHA USPS Vegan Wayne County Health Department Web Wholesale Women's Health Working Girl Cosmetics Your Story
Powered by Blogger.