Thursday, December 30, 2010

Buyer Beware: Pure Luxe

I have debated this post as it's not related to GlitterSniffer. I seriously thought about it for about an hour, weighing whether or not I wanted to post this and open up another can of worms. In the end I realized I just could not let this go because it's the same issue


I was doing some research this evening and I happened upon a site selling blacklight and glow in the dark pigments. The ingredient list on the PureLuxe site says, depending on color, they may contain Orange 5, Polyester-3, Red 28, yellow 7, Red 22, yellow 11. Many of these are not approved for eye use.

I have screenshots of both the ingredient list and the product. I used this list from the FDA for research. At this point I am only uploading the shot of the ingredient list as this seller has a history of threatened litigiousness in terms of photos of PL products being used when they are not portrayed in a flattering light.


I have used the contact form on the site to request immediate removal of the products. I also informed them that I would be notifying the FDA if they were not removed. I was so shocked to find these I wasn't thinking it through and forgot to request that they contact everyone they sold to in order to inform them of their unsafe nature. I will accompany that with a followup.


My cropping skills could use some work.


I know, I know-Who died and made me guardian of the Mineral Makeup Gate? Well, if there is one thing I've learned from this GlitterSniffer debacle it's that I cannot look the other way. I refuse, as a person who cares about other people, to allow something as widespread, destructive, and pervasive as what happened with GS to happen again.

1/1/11 ETA: Please see the followup for the resolution here.

4 comments:

  1. I think you did the right thing. If we don't get these things out in the open, more people will purchase potentially harmful products and suffer injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dez-Thanks. I'm a little embarrassed that I even debated it for a second. I mean, how can I take my commitment to consumer protection seriously if I'm not going to report everything I find? Yeah, the only regret I have is that I even questioned it for one second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things like this should be mentioned. Unfortunately this type of thing is what resulted in the closing of Aromaleigh - someone from another company questioned their ingredients. Pure Luxe has had really bad CS for a while too although I think they're back on track. They also do repackaging but I'm not sure they admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcey- See, that was why I questioned it. I don't want to cast aspersions, especially since what happened to Aromaleigh was just so out of line, but in the end I was able to confirm via the FDA and their own posted ingredients list that they are selling these as eyeshadows when they are not approved for that use.

    I'm not here to close anyone down (although, if that is the consequence of the complaints being filed then so be it). I started this blog to chronicle my attempts to recover from GlitterSniffer, and I definitely don't want to detract from that.

    But, it's true, people should be informed, so I made the decision to post. As with anything I post everyone is free to do with it as they will.

    I've never ordered from PL, so I can't comment on the CS or repackaging. I do look forward to their response so I can decide if I want to become one of their customers in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Please be constructive in your comments. Any comments posted to this blog that may be considered defamatory, inflammatory, or threatening to anyone will be removed.

You're Not Alone

Subscribe

Bloggers' Rights at EFF

Easy Access

ACE Books Amazon Payments Artfire ASPCA Attorney General Bellasugar Better Business Bureau Big Cartel Business Opportunity Buyer Beware Cellini Red Charity Child Safety Closing Coastal Scents Complaints I Filed Consumer Affairs Consumer Product Safety Commission Consumer Reports Consumerist Contact Copyright Cosmetic Safety Craftzine.com Craigslist Cream Eyeliner Dammit Pigment Detroit Handmade Detroit Urban Craft Fair Disney Double Labels Ebay Email Etsy Etsy Call Out Blog Facebook FDA Federal Trade Commision Flickr Frankening Freedom Of Information Act FTC Get Crafty Gift Cards Gift Certificates Gift Exchange GLAAD Glam Rock Magazine glittermail GlitterSniffer GlitterSniffer Bath GlitterSniffer Cosmetics GlitterSnifferCosmetics.highwire.com Glow in the Dark Google Checkout Handmade HBO I Answer Your Questions Ingredients Internet Crime Complaint Center Kids in Danger Labeling Lawsuit Listia Mail and Telephone Order Merchandise Rule Maker City Faire Mascara Media MedWatch Mermaid Tail Michigan Department of Agriculture Michigan Radio Mineral Makeup Class My Story New Products News Not Approved OFT Old Stock Open Letter Overview Party Paypal Perfect Mint Personally Identifying Information PETA Pigmentchick PIRGIM Pissed Consumer Promises Psycho Bath Co PureLuxe purpose Randoms Recall Refund Rep. John D. Dingell Repackaging RipOffReport.com Sanrio Seuss Soap Statement Store Credit Technorati Terms of Service The Conservatorie The Princess Bride The Spotted Box Tim Burton True Blood TWLOHA USPS Vegan Wayne County Health Department Web Wholesale Women's Health Working Girl Cosmetics Your Story
Powered by Blogger.