Tuesday, January 11, 2011

GlitterSniffer FAQ-Vegan

I received an email today, and there have been several questions on the Facebook page, regarding the vegan aspect of this situation. I cannot speak as to the nature of the products myself, so I referred to the FAQ provided by GlitterSniffer Cosmetics.

In the FAQ listed on the GlitterSniffer site there was a question regarding the vegan nature of the products. I present it here as it is on the site:

According to the official stance by GS the only two non vegan reds were Ariel and Seuss Red. They state that this was noted in the Etsy listings.

A quick Google search reveals that is simply not the case. The listings for the Twisted Princess Collection (which contained Ariel) and The DrSeuss Collection (which contained Seuss Red) contain no such information.

Twisted Princess, sold 7/4/10
DrSeuss, sold 7/15/10
DrSeuss, sold 7/10/10
DrSeuss, sold 7/9/10

As the company marketed itself as a 100% vegan company it stands to reason that anyone purchasing their product would feel comfortable that what they were receiving was indeed vegan. As we can see from the Etsy listings the fact that they were not vegan was not disclosed, nor were there any ingredient listings to alert people to the presence of non vegan ingredients.

It is not clear at this time where this falls in terms of the FDA, but it does show that the information provided by GS about it's products is not entirely correct.

1/12/11 ETA:
Ariel and Seuss Red are not the only non vegan colors GS ever produced. Ruby Red Slippers in The Wizard of Oz Collection was also  not vegan, but it was noted in the Etsy listing.


Though fully disclosed at the time of purchase it gives pause to the FAQ that GS has posted as their official answers to many questions. If GS does not list all non vegan colors despite stating that the list they have provided is complete, either by choice, accidental omission, or just plain not knowing what is in their products, how is a consumer to make an informed choice about any products the company has produced?

Thanks to a Facebook page member for the information.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see this post. I haven't felt comfortable for at least the past month onward using any of my GS cosmetics that I own. I contacted Paypal yesterday about my GS orders past the 45 day mark, the whole "not feeling comfortable using any of my products or that they'd be safe if I used them" and I was told they would email Lela for me.
    I have *yet* to receive a reply (I know usually she is quick in her responses in the past but some have gone ignored in this whole mess). I'm praying my email doesn't go purposely overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megam- My understanding is that's a pretty common feeling about the pigments that have been deemed safe. I know that for my part I want a refund for everything I purchased due to the pictures of product being packed with no sanitary precautions whatsoever. I wish you luck in getting your refund.

    ReplyDelete

Please be constructive in your comments. Any comments posted to this blog that may be considered defamatory, inflammatory, or threatening to anyone will be removed.

You're Not Alone

Subscribe

Bloggers' Rights at EFF

Easy Access

ACE Books Amazon Payments Artfire ASPCA Attorney General Bellasugar Better Business Bureau Big Cartel Business Opportunity Buyer Beware Cellini Red Charity Child Safety Closing Coastal Scents Complaints I Filed Consumer Affairs Consumer Product Safety Commission Consumer Reports Consumerist Contact Copyright Cosmetic Safety Craftzine.com Craigslist Cream Eyeliner Dammit Pigment Detroit Handmade Detroit Urban Craft Fair Disney Double Labels Ebay Email Etsy Etsy Call Out Blog Facebook FDA Federal Trade Commision Flickr Frankening Freedom Of Information Act FTC Get Crafty Gift Cards Gift Certificates Gift Exchange GLAAD Glam Rock Magazine glittermail GlitterSniffer GlitterSniffer Bath GlitterSniffer Cosmetics GlitterSnifferCosmetics.highwire.com Glow in the Dark Google Checkout Handmade HBO I Answer Your Questions Ingredients Internet Crime Complaint Center Kids in Danger Labeling Lawsuit Listia Mail and Telephone Order Merchandise Rule Maker City Faire Mascara Media MedWatch Mermaid Tail Michigan Department of Agriculture Michigan Radio Mineral Makeup Class My Story New Products News Not Approved OFT Old Stock Open Letter Overview Party Paypal Perfect Mint Personally Identifying Information PETA Pigmentchick PIRGIM Pissed Consumer Promises Psycho Bath Co PureLuxe purpose Randoms Recall Refund Rep. John D. Dingell Repackaging RipOffReport.com Sanrio Seuss Soap Statement Store Credit Technorati Terms of Service The Conservatorie The Princess Bride The Spotted Box Tim Burton True Blood TWLOHA USPS Vegan Wayne County Health Department Web Wholesale Women's Health Working Girl Cosmetics Your Story
Powered by Blogger.