Monday, January 3, 2011

Lawsuit

I want to start this post by stating that I categorically stand behind my original statement that I am not choosing to pursue any legal recourse at this time besides filing complaints with the appropriate agencies. I have, however, been exploring my options. Better safe than sorry.

So, apparently, have you. I've received many questions today asking about what legal action can be taken to recover a refund. I am not an attorney, and this by no means should be constituted as legal advice, but I have decided to publish what I've found so far.

Small Claims: This information is specific to my state of residence. The upshot is that filing in small claims court unless you are actually in Detroit is kind of a nonstarter. In my state, suit has to be filed within the defendants home state, and I would be required to travel there for all court dates, or hire a representative to attend for me. This is very cost prohibitive, especially for the sum of $21.50.

Class Action:
In terms of a class action, that's up in the air. My understanding of the situation is that if the FDA requests a recall I'll have more recourse. But, even then, any amount awarded would only be recovered if GS had the money.

I'm no lawyer, so my interpretation of this is by no means the be all-end all. Your individual state might have other provisions protecting consumers from faulty product, or may allow you to file in your state of residence instead. I cannot speak to that.

I will say that getting the FDA alerted to any issues is paramount, and although I cannot and am not legally advising you to file a complaint with them you can always read about my experience filling out the form here.


While I have been advised by several of the agencies/companies that I have contacted that legal action may be my best recourse I am holding off in hopes that GS will make things right by issuing my refund and accepting returns and ensuring the safe disposal of all my potentially adulterated product, as per FDA recall guidelines.


Should this change in the future I will, of course, update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be constructive in your comments. Any comments posted to this blog that may be considered defamatory, inflammatory, or threatening to anyone will be removed.

You're Not Alone

Subscribe

Bloggers' Rights at EFF

Easy Access

ACE Books Amazon Payments Artfire ASPCA Attorney General Bellasugar Better Business Bureau Big Cartel Business Opportunity Buyer Beware Cellini Red Charity Child Safety Closing Coastal Scents Complaints I Filed Consumer Affairs Consumer Product Safety Commission Consumer Reports Consumerist Contact Copyright Cosmetic Safety Craftzine.com Craigslist Cream Eyeliner Dammit Pigment Detroit Handmade Detroit Urban Craft Fair Disney Double Labels Ebay Email Etsy Etsy Call Out Blog Facebook FDA Federal Trade Commision Flickr Frankening Freedom Of Information Act FTC Get Crafty Gift Cards Gift Certificates Gift Exchange GLAAD Glam Rock Magazine glittermail GlitterSniffer GlitterSniffer Bath GlitterSniffer Cosmetics GlitterSnifferCosmetics.highwire.com Glow in the Dark Google Checkout Handmade HBO I Answer Your Questions Ingredients Internet Crime Complaint Center Kids in Danger Labeling Lawsuit Listia Mail and Telephone Order Merchandise Rule Maker City Faire Mascara Media MedWatch Mermaid Tail Michigan Department of Agriculture Michigan Radio Mineral Makeup Class My Story New Products News Not Approved OFT Old Stock Open Letter Overview Party Paypal Perfect Mint Personally Identifying Information PETA Pigmentchick PIRGIM Pissed Consumer Promises Psycho Bath Co PureLuxe purpose Randoms Recall Refund Rep. John D. Dingell Repackaging RipOffReport.com Sanrio Seuss Soap Statement Store Credit Technorati Terms of Service The Conservatorie The Princess Bride The Spotted Box Tim Burton True Blood TWLOHA USPS Vegan Wayne County Health Department Web Wholesale Women's Health Working Girl Cosmetics Your Story
Powered by Blogger.